IMPORTANT NOTE 7/15/17: I am currently updating all of my VapeRatings and changing the way they’re calculated. This page will be updated imminently to reflect this change. In the meantime please see this forum post for more details: https://forum.vapelife.com/discussion/1547/new-vaperatings/p1
The overall score or VapeRating that I give each vaporizer is determined by a number of factors, most of which are listed below. Generally speaking, any models that I rate 80/100 or higher are ones that I like and recommend.
All vaporizers are divided into tiers and each tier has a single numerical value:
95/100 (Tier 1)
90/100 (Tier 2)
85/100 (Tier 3)
80/100 (Tier 4)
Any vapes rated lower than Tier 4 are not on my list of recommended units.
Models that I consider especially noteworthy will be labeled as TOP PICKS.
Ease of use
– Is it complicated to setup?
– Does it have many different parts?
– Is it comfortable and easy to hold?
– Can a beginner get good results quickly?
– How evenly does it vaporize the material?
– Is it consistent in how it performs?
– Is it hard to pull from? (draw resistance)
– Is stirring of the herbs required?
– How many draws do you get on average?
– Does it provide a satisfying experience?
– Does it produce big clouds of vapor?
– Is it smooth and comfortable?
– How hot is the vapor it produces?
– How strong or potent is the vapor?
Taste / flavor
– Is the flavor bland or complex?
– Does it taste very clean and pure?
– Is it noticeably better than others?
– How much herb/material is required for good results?
– Can it efficiently be used with any amount?
– Do the end results justify how much was used?
– Is it efficient for both solo and group use?
Portable or desktop
– Is it mainly for use at home?
– Is it easy to pack and use on-the-go?
– Does it fit in your pocket?
– Does it need to be plugged in for power?
– Does it run on rechargeable batteries?
– How long does the charge last?
– Are the batteries user-replaceable?
– How long does it take to fully recharge?
– Can it be used while charging?
– Where was it manufactured?
– Does it feel like a high quality product?
– What kind of materials is it made of?
– Are all materials flavorless and food-safe?
– Are any of the parts fragile?
– Does it feel like a luxury product?
– Does it have a sleek look?
– Is it noticeably higher quality than most others?
– Did the manufacturer pay fine attention to detail?
– How much does it smell compared to other vapes?
– Does the unit itself give off an odor or just the vapor?
– Do you exhale a lot of visible vapor?
– Can it also be used with concentrates or dry herbs only?
– How efficient is it with wax and oil?
– Does the vapor taste very clean and pure?
Warranty / reliability
– How many owners have reported reliability issues?
– How responsive and professional is the manufacturer?
– Does it have a sufficient warranty?
– How clean does the unit stay after repeated use?
– Does it get dirty or build up residue quickly?
– How visible is the build-up?
– How often does the unit need to be cleaned?
– Is cleaning a reasonable process or hard to do?
– Does it have parts that may need to be replaced in the future?
– How often will it need new parts or accessories?
– How much will it cost to properly maintain?
– How much effort is required?
– Is it considered a budget, mid-level, or premium vape?
– Is the price justified based on the quality and performance?
– Are there recurring costs involved for ongoing use?
– Is it one of my favorites?
– How often do I use it versus others?
– Will I recommend it to people often?
Sometimes my ratings may slightly change over time for a particular vape, and this would be due to any variable factors gaining or losing weight. For example, if I end up receiving a large volume of reliability complaints 6 months after an initial review I will go back and adjust the VapeRating accordingly.
Looking for the best vaporizers?
The Vape Critic
Latest YouTube Video: