Cleaning Your Pax Vaporizer To Keep It Running Smoothly

Keeping your Pax clean is important if you want it to always operate at peak performance.

Cleaning it may not be a straightforward process for some, so I made the video below to help you out by showing how I do it.

In the above video I show the whole cleaning process I go through and also how to apply the mouthpiece lubricant they now provide.

This lubricant is important because it helps eliminate the common issues people run into with this vape, myself included.

This includes the “temp light” issue, where the vape will randomly disengage the heater and show that your mouthpiece is disconnected (by changing colors), and the sticking mouthpiece issue, where it becomes stuck in the closed position because of built-up and hardened residue inside.

Video transcription:

What up. This video is going to be a tutorial on how to clean the Pax Vaporizer and how to apply the new mouthpiece lubricant that they provide. Cleaning your Pax regularly is just something you’ve got to do to keep it working at peak performance, and applying the mouthpiece lubricant is something that helps avoid almost all the common issues that the Pax has.

Here’s what you’re going to need to do this. You’re going to need a packet of the mouthpiece lubricant. You’re going to need a little bit of rubbing alcohol. The one I’m using here is this one, a 91%. One of these things is also pretty useful for cleaning the Pax. This is an inter-dental brush, and these you can pick up at your local drugstore or supermarket. This is just the package that I bought as an example, alright? You’ll see I also have two Q-Tips here. I have a pipe cleaner, and then I also have a straw off a spray can of WD-40, and I’ll explain what you do with this in a couple minutes.

There are two main areas of the Pax that need to be cleaned and maintained. The first area is up around the mouthpiece connections, inside here. The second area is down where the oven is. First, we’ll do the top here. First, you’ll turn it on which pops out the mouthpiece. Pull the mouthpiece off and set it down. First, what I usually do is grab my little interdental brush here. I’m going to put a little bit of rubbing alcohol on it, but not too much. If it’s dripping off, just give it a little dab to get the excess off on a paper towel. The main reason you need a tiny brush like this is to get around the tubing right there.

That’s the actual vapor path that comes up from the oven on the bottom. You’ll see that around it is a little tiny space that is too small to get a Q-Tip in, so that’s why I use one of these things. It works really well. I’m just going to go in and around the tubing. What you’re trying to do is get any residue off that might have built up on these connections in here. When build up happens on these connections, it could cause the vaporizer to act a little weird, so we’re just going to scrub it a little bit to get it all off. There’s not going to be a lot of residue, but just a little bit. It could cause some issues, so let’s get it out.

All right, then if you want to, you could dip it again and dab off. I also use this piece to get in the little hole at the top of the mouthpiece here. It works pretty well to get in there. You could also use this to get in this piece up here, like underneath this piece as it rocks back and forth. See that? You could use this to get in there. All right, so now I’ll just set that down and to the side.

Now what I’ll do is I’ll take my pipe cleaner, and I’m just going to moisten the end of it with the alcohol. Again, you really don’t want it dripping, so I’m going to dab off the excess there. I’m going to take my mouthpiece again, and I’m going to get inside this piece like that. I’ll get the bottom here also and maybe the outside a little bit. All right, I’m just going to set the pipe cleaner down to the side for a second, and I’m going to grab one of my Q-Tips. I’m going to get some alcohol on it, dab it off, and then get all up here. All right, and you could also use like a wipe or a paper towel to get on the outside here, but I’ll just use this for here. I’ll get around there. All right, and I’m going to wipe the mouthpiece off and dry it.

All right, so now the mouthpiece is pretty much clean. Now what I’m going to do is grab my pipe cleaner again, and this time I’m going to moisten more of it, and this might actually be easier using the bottle, so I’m going to dip this in the bottle.

All right, so, before I get started on that part, what I’m going to do is just take off the bottom oven cover, which is just held on by a magnet, so you just pull it off. Then I’m going to come back to the top here, and I’m going to stick the pip cleaner dipped in rubbing alcohol, again not dripping, just damp, down the center of the vapor path there. Normally, just putting the pipe cleaner down here, this is how you’re supposed to normally pop out the screen on the bottom. You’ll see that my screen actually did pop out this time. I got lucky. Now, sometimes the screen won’t pop out just from using the pipe cleaner. Sometimes the pipe cleaner doesn’t provide enough force to actually push it out, you know, because sometimes the residue will make the screen stick in there.

That’s why I also have one of these things handy, and this is just a rigid piece of plastic. Like a mentioned, I got this off a spray can. This actually fits perfectly down the vapor path. Sometimes I use this to pop out my screen if the screen is being a little finicky and doesn’t want to come out just from the pipe cleaner. This time I didn’t need it, so that’s cool. You’ll see that I went down the top, and I scrubbed a little bit, not too long. I’ll go in from the bottom now, too. I’ll just scrub a little bit. You’ll see that my oven itself is looking a little messy, too. I’m just going to bend my pipe cleaner now, dip it again, and see if I can scrub some of this out.

It’s not really important to go crazy with this. You’re never really going to get it looking like new again. It’s just important to get out any globs of residue or any big clumps of buildup. If there’s just discoloration inside the oven or on the screen, that’s no big deal. That’s not going to affect performance. You don’t have to worry about it. I’ve had my Pax for a while now, so my oven’s pretty broken in, you could say. You could see me scrubbing, and not much of that’s going to come off, so I kind of have just a discoloration going on in here, but again, it doesn’t really effect performance, so it’s not a big deal. You could also use the Q-Tip in here. If you wanted to, you could dip the Q-Tip, scrub it a little more. Okay, Q-
Tip to the side.

Now we have the little screen piece here which actually isn’t a screen at all. If you’re familiar with the Pax you know what I’m talking about. It’s actually just a solid metal plate. There are no holes in it, so that’s why this part kind of builds up some residue, too. You could take your other Q-Tip, you could dip it. This part also like I mentioned is not going to get sparkling new again most of the time, but it doesn’t really matter. You could just get it the best you can. You’ll see mine. Mine is stained. I have some extra screens, too. You can buy replacement screens if you wanted to. If you wanted it to look new again, you could always just pop in a new one. Since this isn’t negatively affecting the performance at all, I’m just going to ride it out and keep using this one. Even though it might look a little ugly, it doesn’t really matter. I’ll just wait, and I’ll dry this off a little bit.

Now, the actual lid to the oven, or the cover, this part will sometimes have buildup on it also. Mine is pretty clean right now because I did clean my Pax recently, but what you would do is just dampen your Q-Tip again with rubbing alcohol, and you could just rub this part to get it clean, and then dry it off, alright.

At this point you’re pretty much done cleaning it, and now the only thing left to do is apply the mouthpiece lubricant. This is normally what the packet looks like that they provide. I’m just going to put this one to the side because I have another one that I’ve already opened. You don’t need a lot of this stuff. You only need a tiny bit, so this one packet should last you a long time.

What I do is I take my inter-dental brush that I used before to clean, and just make sure it’s fully dry now. Then I’ll take my packet of lubricant, and you only need to drop one or two drops onto the brush. That’s all you need. This might actually be too much, so if you put on too much, it’s no big deal. You could just dab a little off. Then I take my mouthpiece, and you’re going to give it one little swish on the inside here, a little bit on the bottom, and then a little bit on this piece up here, a little bit on the outside, alright? And that’s pretty much it. You’ll just take your mouthpiece, and you’ll stick it back in here, like that, and you could push it up and down a few times just to get the lubricant all over the other piece on the inside. Then you’re pretty much ready to go.

The Pax is clean, it’s lubed up, and it’s ready to rock and roll. Obviously, put your oven cover back on before using it. That’s the whole story. If you have any questions about how to do this, feel free to let me know. This did resolve any issues for me. I did have the temp light issue sometimes with my Pax. Up until recently people avoided that by just cleaning their Pax’s often. I used to recommend cleaning it after every 3-4 sessions or so, but using this new lubricant now, the last time I cleaned my Pax and I used it, I did a test, and I was able to get 12 full sessions without having to clean the Pax or anything, and I didn’t run into any issues. I used it 12 times for about 10-15 minutes each time, and everything worked perfectly. I didn’t get the temp light issue, and my mouthpiece didn’t stick. This seems to work really well. This seems to be a real, legitimate solution. The mouthpiece lubricant is safe to use. It’s a food grade, water soluble lubricant. You don’t have to worry about this being toxic or anything. That’s about it. Thanks for watching, and stay up.

Share Your Thoughts!

1. Wes says:

Hello should the pax turn off when the mouth piece is removed for cleaning? Mine doesn’t. Thanks for the video!

2. matt says:

I see no video. Only a video transcription

3. MDF says:

Hey all, a couple ideas for cleaning your Pax:

To clean your mouthpiece, bottom cover and screen, put the pieces in a 1 quart Ziploc freezer bag, and pour in a cup of rubbing alcohol (90% or higher is best), seal the bag, let it soak for a while, and shake it around. “Massage” the pieces through the bag until everything is clean. Let everything dry on a paper towel.

If there is a lot of resin in the tube of the actual unit on the outside (where the mouthpiece fits), I dip the tube of the mouthpiece into a bowl of alcohol, and WITH THE UNIT UPSIDE DOWN, quickly insert it up into the unit, quickly pull it back out, dip it again, and repeat. If the unit is right-side up, the dirty alcohol will run down into the internals of the Pax, and possibly ruin it, so keep it upside down for a few seconds for the alcohol to evaporate.

4. hyper howie says:

I’m an avowed rookie when it comes to vaping, which I switched to for health reasons (don’t want the lung residue.) However, nearly a,dozen attempts brought nothing.
    I tried hard packs, soft packs, low, medium & hi settings, etc.
    However, the cleaning actually brought out a problem that might be overlooked by others. When I watched the vid: If it weren’t for the dental device I wouldn’t have caught it: The Itty bitty hole in the mouthpiece was clogged! Breathing air in/out both holes proved that right! I was new at vaping n they said not too draw hard … ha. So the hard pull seemed to go along with the deal. Not true. Check them holes (Pax holes that is!)

• hyper howie says:

I spoke too soon. Didn’t resolve the problem. Back to trying varying breathes n packing techniques. Damn!

• Anonymous says:

I have had mine for two months now and I’m still getting it to work the way I want. Overall, it’s a good vape I think (my first) but it’s definitely about the technique!

5. Magz says:

Hey…. I’m just wondering if anyone knows a great site online to buy pipe cleaners!

6. Jhonson says:

Hi! I recently purchased pax and I wanted to clean it as in here but I couldn’t be able to purchase the 91% alcohol the only alcohol they had was 70% . Is it ok to use 70% alcohol to clean the pax ? Thanks.

7. Mysty says:

Thanks Bud for your excellent review and especially the cleaning video helped me a lot. The first two weeks I was disappointed with the PAX, but that’s because I wasn’t using the lubricant and proper cleaning. I do love it now since I’ve been cleaning it according to your instructions. Even Ploom doesn’t have such great directions, although they do say to soak the mouthpiece in soap and water, I think. I did that too.
    My question is this: I’ve been using vodka instead of rubbing alcohol, because the first time I used alcohol it seemed to make me allergic. The tiny bottle of vodka seems to work just fine and lasts, what do you think?
    Thanks again for your reviews. I’ll never smoke again, now that I have my PAX. Great design!

8. Nav says:

Hey bud

I just got a pax and always watch your videos on what’s worth checking out. So it works great, not any vapour but I’m expecting to be down to the technique. My problem is the screen. I seem to be getting some herb up the pipe and into my mouth everytime I inahle! It’s very off putting, I’ve tried adjusting the screen and popping in multiple times (even though it’s a pain in the ass)

I’m guessing it’s the screen’s fault as it’s not blocking any of the herb from getting sucked into the pipe? Either that or I don’t have enough herb in/not using the 2nd screen technique to keep it packed and close? Please help!

Cheers bud

9. Judy says:

Can a product like Grunge Off be used for cleaning the Pax instead of alcohol? I use it on the glass parts and screens of my tabletop vaporizer and it works great.

10. Ken says:

My local Wal-Mart has them in the crafts section. Less than $2 for a pack of 25. They seem more flimsy and not as solid as the ones Ploom includes in their cleaning kit, but they still get the job done! And no flakes or particles left behind! (Pax owners will know exactly what I’m talking about) lol

11. Dom says:

I ran out of pipe cleaners and was wondering if anyone one knew what kind of pipe cleaners Ploom sends with the cleaning kit when you buy the Pax. Does anyone know if they sell them on Amazon in bulk? I’d hate to spend $13 ever 20 times when i could be spending $10 every 50-100+ times.

12. Tom Jones says:

A GREAT way to conserve your herb is;
    No need for a screen, just put a small amount of finely cut up herb in the oven which should be upside down when you place it in, keep it like that (upside down)… lay down and smoke it like that. That way the herb is constantly on the oven. Remember to even the herb out on the oven plate. You only need a little bit.
    The reason why I bought this is to hide the smell and also conserve. But I wasn’t conserving it cause the pax wouldn’t work properly unless it was half full with the screen put in, but vaping upside down you don’t have any issues. Works like a charm!

13. kerry says:

I found a great way to clean the screen. I use one of those flat rectangle green scrubbing pads that I think are made of plastic. Hold one side of the screen in the bottom of your sink with one hand and take a corner of the pad(that you have dipped in water) and wipe hard from the center out and it takes the black off.

14. Marlon says:

Does the pax screen have holes cause mine doesn’t. It markings but no holes. So I place a standard screen instead. Works well, but still wondering if the original screen was a manufacture flaw.

15. rick says:

What’s up Bud I have had the pax for probably a year and a half now and i love it to death but i was wandering if there is a safe way to clean the the bowl of the pax underneath where you would put the screen

16. Buzz Holland says:

Wow. That was an incredibly well executed video. Thank you kindly, hope to run into you down the road. Buzz Holland

17. Jeff says:

Hey, thank you for the high def and detailed cleaning tutorial. Very helpful!

I would offer a warning against using isopropyl alcohol and use ethyl alchohol (ethanol) instead, to clean. Hulda Clark (now passed away, a biologist from Canada) found that almost everyone she worked with who had cancer also had amounts of isopropyl alchohol in their bodies. If true, it should probably be removed from all pharmacies and not even be in your house, much less touching it or breathing it.

Since 100% pure ethanol is difficult to get, you could just get a bottle of Everclear and use that to clean stuff, and not risk the cancer issue until more is known about isopropyl alcohol.

Also, of course to make sure that WD-40 stick was not used with WD-40 first, and that it is thorough washed and cleaned, as well.

Thanks again!

18. Shane says:

i just got my pax that i ordered on ebay yesterday, and i know its the authentic one not a fake. So i unboxed it and gave it a full charge, and when i turn it on the light goes green (the temperature is on medium btw) right away and doesnt heat up!! i looked up this problem and found that cleaning it and lubricating usually works, but i just got it so i see no reason why i should have to clean it, the ebay add said it was “new in box” and the screen didnt show any sign of previous use. I did put lubricant on the mouthpiece but its still doesnt work! please help

19. Quinn says:

Thank you so much! I’ve been having the temp light issue for a while now and I just thought i screwed up the tube or something.

20. David says:

My Pax mouthpiece is clogged. I cleaned it per the instructions in your video but can’t get any draw through it. I’ve ordered a new mouthpiece, but wondered if you have encountered this problem and if so how you resolved it.

21. Jamie says:

Thank you so much for this video- very useful!
    I’m having an issue though- I can’t seem to pop out the oven screen. I’ve had my pax for a few months now and have used it a fair amount but not that much- so I don’t believe there would be that much res sticking to it. I tried using a straw like you to pop it out but its stuck. any ideas? Thank you!

22. Nick says:

Hey Bud! Thanks for the tutorial! I have a question though, for some reason after cleaning and when I start to use the Pax, I taste rubbing alcohol and it gives it a nasty taste. What should I do to get rid of that taste, I’m having a hard time making it go away….

23. Grin says:

I have blocked my pax, the mouthpiece stays in, I have put a lot of lubrifiant inside from the two sides but it still stay blocked. I had not clean it for a while but it was not so dirty. I have tried to push it from the hoven part with some metal pen but it stay block.
    Do you have any idea please, i can’t go back to combustion.
    Do I have to open it?

24. Joe says:

Hey had my pax three months was working fine but now when I turn it on it’ flashes red three times and turns off, it charges upto green but when turned on just flashes red again . Any ideas? Would getting a new mouthpiece help?

25. Anne says:

My mouthpiece is stuck on on, after cleaning with alcohol. Any hope for me. My manual is lost. Any thoughts

26. Donna says:

Bud, I have just bought the PAX, I’m the only one that uses it after filling up the chamber completely I only need a couple of puffs.
    can I leave the rest in the chamber and come back to it later or should I jus fill the chamber halfway?

• Bud Bud says:

Hey for best taste and performance I would just half-pack the oven if you don’t want to vape a full session. You can totally shut it off mid-session and come back to it later, but I’ve found the overall experience to be better when it’s all vapes in one shot.

27. Trevor says:

Do you ever clean the 4x charging contacts on the mouthpice side of the device?

28. Chief says:

Just got the pax but I’m not getting a good draw and only a couple of light hits before i get nothing even though the chamber is full, nothing like in your video at all.
    So the screen has no holes?? I don’t get it.. How can the vapor get through the “screen” and up the tube if it has no holes!? It,s a solid piece of metal. What am I missing.

29. Guy D says:

Oh yeah…and that how it acts fresh off the charger. Every time I close the mouthpiece and reopen it it just blinks the red x 3 times and then goes dark? Thanks again for any help!

30. Guy D says:

Hey Bud, Thanks for all of your tips and info on vaping. Really helps us out! I’ve had my pax for about a month now and have taken the advise of frequent thorough cleanings. It was working fine then all of a sudden the red x blinks three times and then nothing. I cleaned it again until I got a clear pope cleaner back every time. Even cleaned where the spring is and around the tube and lubed it up real good afterwards. The temp adjusting light/button doesn’t elimuminate either which it had always done prior to this red x flashing 3 times and nothing business? Any ideas? It worked great before and then one day I pull it off the charger and it doesn’t work. Thanks for any help, it’s well appreciated bud!

• Bud Bud says:

Hey man thanks for posting, I’m not sure what exactly that issue could be but I would contact either the store you got it from or Ploom and see if it’s defective, if it is you should be able to get it replaced under warranty.

31. Sam says:

Is there something I can clean the metal contacts with? Mine just keeps blinking on the charger?

32. mikgto68 says:

Hey I got a pax. .. And I noticed it will blink purple and heat up but won’t go green… And if it does go green it will blink then turn blue. ..then quickly back to blinking purple..I hit it and got smoke…is that normal?

• greenz says:

You just have to be patient… and don’t let the pax sit still on the table… it has an accelerometer in it.. meaning that if it sits still it will automatically go into ‘conserve mode’ (or blue light) and stop heating up…. this is to help prevent the likes of some users who forget its on and burn up their herbs…. just keep it in your hand, with some motion, and when it its green, inhale….

when you wanna be fancy, hold the pax parallel to the floor (horizontally) and spin it like a hotdog on a roller at 7-11 three times in a roll and the pax will go into PARTY MODE, blinking many trippy colors… in party mode you can set you pax down and it will not go into conserve mode any more.. be careful you don’t burn your herbs tho! be patient and enjoy!